Saginaw Defeats Plymouth, 3-2, in Overtime

Dec 07, 2012 - 18:38 EST

Photo - Plymouth's Ryan Hartman scores in a scrum at the Saginaw blue ice Friday night in the Whalers' 3-2 overtime loss to Saginaw at Compuware Arena.  Photo by Rena Laverty.

PLYMOUTH – Nick Moutrey’s goal with eight seconds remaining in overtime snapped a 2-2 tie and the Saginaw Spirit defeated the Plymouth Whalers, 3-2, in an Ontario Hockey League game played Friday night before 2,990 at Compuware Arena.

The goal came on a scramble just outside the Plymouth blue ice.  Whalers goaltender Matt Mahalak made the initial save on Moutrey, but he followed up his own rebound and put a backhand into the net.

Plymouth (14-8-4-3, 35 points) remains in second place in the OHL’s West Division, two points behind the first-place Sarnia Sting (17-11-0-3, 37 points) who lost, 3-2 in a shootout, against Windsor on Friday.

Tonight’s game was tied or a one-goal differential the entire 64:52.  Tom Wilson (6) scored a goal and added an assist for Plymouth as the game’s second star.  Ryan Hartman (12) scored the other Plymouth goal.  Goaltender Matt Mahalak stopped 30-of-33 shots for the Whalers.

Justin Kea scored twice (9-10) as the game’s first star for Saginaw, including the equalizer for the Spirit with 1:57 left in regulation. Moutrey’s goal is his ninth of the season.  Detroit Red Wings draft choice Jake Paterson earned third star honors for Saginaw in stopping 44-of-46 shots.

Wilson gave the Whalers a 1-0 lead at 7:33 of the first period, scoring on a re-direct from Alex Peters' point shot that was going nowhere near the net.  Wilson was stationed at the lower rim of the right circle and got his stick on the puck.

Kea tied the game at 18:19 with a shot from the high slot and the first period ended tied at 1-1.

Plymouth had success most of the evening pounding the puck in deep and working from the faceoff dots and deeper in the Saginaw zone.  Paterson kept Saginaw in the game when the Whalers started to assert the forecheck in the Spirit zone.

Still, Hartman scored on a scramble just outside the Saginaw blue at 11:46 of the second period to give Plymouth a 2-1 lead after forty minutes.

Plymouth led, 2-1, until Kea's equalizer with 1:57 remaining in regulation.  Kea scored with the quick shot from the right wing.

In all, Plymouth outshot Saginaw, 46-33.

Plymouth remains at home Saturday night at 7:05 pm at Compuware Arena against the Oshawa Generals (6:45 pm, 88.1FM WSDP).